TIME/WAGE: Seasonal/hourly position, approximately May through September. Flexible hours required. Salary commensurate with experience, $13-$16/hour.
SUPERVISOR: Operations Manager
SUMMARY: The Equipment and Facilities Supervisor assists the Operations Manager to ensure that all gear, equipment and facilities, and related systems and procedures, are in excellent working order throughout the trip season. The Equipment and Facilities Supervisor assists the Operations Manager to ensure the safe, smooth and proper flow of gear, vans, and trailers for 300+ wilderness events. This includes overseeing a staff team, and working side-by-side with outdoor leaders preparing for and returning from trips, to pack/unpack; load/unload; clean gear, vehicles, facilities, and equipment; and inspect gear to ensure it is ready for the next trip. The Equipment and Facilities Supervisor promotes the mission of WI by providing high quality and safe experiences to all WI participants and staff.
• Supervises, motivates, develops and guides seasonal staff, volunteers and interns.
• Packs-out and packs-in field equipment and food before and after WI trips.
• Loads and unloads vehicles with equipment, gear, and food.
• Inspects, cleans, washes, repairs and stores gear and equipment, including vehicles, trailers, and boats.
• Performs facilities and grounds maintenance and cleaning.
• Organizes, cleans and performs simple repairs on outdoor gear.
• Counts and records equipment and gear inventory, and keeps in exceptional working order.
• Reports status and concerns to Operations Manager.
These and other duties may vary at the discretion of the supervisor. The work of WI continuously changes in order to achieve WI’s mission. All of WI’s staff team members must be flexible and able to adapt to short and long-term shifts in their job responsibilities.
• Willingness to keep consistent and flexible hours; ability to work some early mornings, some evenings, and Sundays May-September.
• Ability to work in a team and independently.
• Energy and endurance.
• Excellent follow-through with tasks.
• Ability to lift and carry equipment and food up to 50 lbs.
• A current driver’s license and safe driving record.
• Mechanical aptitude for vehicles, trailers and outdoor equipment.
• Willingness and ability to take and give direction.
Wilderness Inquiry is an equal opportunity employer.Apply Now
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the pay level and hours?
The Equipment and Facilities Supervisor earns $13-16 per hour and works 20-40 hours per week May through September. Since many of our trips return on Saturdays and Sundays, there is a fair amount of weekend work. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are also busy days, Thursdays and Fridays less so. Additional work is typically available if people want it.
What does the Equipment and Facilities Supervisor do at WI do?
The Equipment and Facilities Supervisor helps the Operations Manager run the warehouse during peak season. This includes supervising and helping with cleaning and repairing gear, vehicles and trailers after they return from trips. They also inspect gear to make sure it is in good shape for the next group of people who will be using it. The Equipment and Facilities Supervisor also supervises the re-stocking of gear in our warehouse, and helps to keep the warehouse and grounds clean and orderly.
Who will I work with?
Wilderness Inquiry is a collaborative and interconnected network of professionals. We spend equal amounts of time working as a team across all levels as we do independently. As a coordinator, you can expect to interact with all staff and many community members and participants alike.
Would I be able to lead trips?
If you are qualified to lead trips, there may be opportunities to do so. We believe it is best if all staff get out and experience what we do. This will require coordination with other staff.
Can this lead to a full-time permanent position?
Yes. Several past Equipment and Facilities Supervisors have been hired to full-time positions over the years.