The primary role of the Operations Manager is to support all planning, coordinating, and logistics. This includes securing and maintaining commercial/special use permits, reservations, and other travel arrangements, agreements, and contracts on behalf of Wilderness Inquiry (WI) in order to conduct programing for over 600 events annually, serving 40,000 adults and youth each year. Daily responsibilities of this position involve working proactively and collaboratively to maintain existing reservations and permits, obtaining additional permitting and route logistics for new itineraries, and reviewing and updating our events database. This position also includes the responsibilities of working proactively and collaboratively to maintain existing participant relationships, follow-up on new participant inquiries, and review and update our events and contract database. As needed, this position will also collaborate with the programing and operations team to conduct staff training, schedule events, conduct outreach, prepare and implement marketing materials, and analyze and optimize business outcomes. This position also includes managing a portfolio of Wilderness Inquiry programs as a Trip Director.
Bachelor’s degree and five years professional experience. This job requires excellent project management and communication skills. The ability to work independently to plan, implement, and follow-up on event logistics with cooperating agencies, land management authorities, fellow staff, participants, and volunteers is essential. Knowledge of the outdoor recreation industry and outdoor activities is desired. Knowledge of Macintosh OS, Microsoft Word, FileMaker Pro, and Microsoft Excel is a plus. Must be willing to work some early morning, evening, and weekend hours as needed.
- Implement and facilitate the ongoing review and updating of Wilderness Inquiry’s Trip Destination Planning database
- Provide logistics planning and coordination for Wilderness Inquiry’s integrated wilderness trips and programs at the direction of the Operations Director
- Ensure the timely management of permits and reservations required for all of Wilderness Inquiry’s programs including agreements with federal and state agencies
- Review contract agreements with partner organizations to insure contractual obligations are obtainable and align with greater goals of the organization
- Work closely with Sales Manager to initiate, write, and implement customer-focused, cost-effective contract trips
- Assist in updating Filemaker Pro database, including data entry, address and email corrections, periodic data checks, etc.
- Assist in writing and editing of trip descriptions and supplemental information to be used in print and web marketing materials
- Field communications (such as mail, phone calls, and e-mail) from all Wilderness Inquiry’s constituencies in a professional manner and decide upon appropriate course of action
- Assist with general office administration
- Serve as a trip director for specific Wilderness Inquiry trip destinations
These and other duties may vary at the discretion of the supervisor. The work of Wilderness Inquiry continuously evolves in order to maintain relevance. All of Wilderness Inquiry’s staff team members must be flexible and able to adapt to short and long-term shifts in their job responsibilities.
TIME/WAGE: Full-time, salary exempt with benefits
SUPERVISOR: Operations Director
Wilderness Inquiry is an equal opportunity employer.Apply Now