The Marketing Director is responsible for the planning, development and implementation of all of Wilderness Inquiry’s marketing strategies, marketing communications and public relations activities, both external and internal. This position designs and develops support materials; plans and implements social media and other communications efforts; and coordinates and executes at the strategic and tactical levels with the other functions of Wilderness Inquiry (WI). The Marketing Director promotes the mission of WI by providing high quality outreach to all WI constituents and stakeholders.
Founded in 1978, Wilderness Inquiry is a leader in inclusive adventure travel for individuals of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities. Beginning with one trip in the Boundary Waters, we now lead more than 500 trips annually across the globe. Our trips build meaningful connections between travelers and the natural world — and trip revenues create opportunities for others to share the adventure through our supported programs. The Marketing Director position is responsible for overseeing marketing, communications, and PR efforts to share WI’s mission, meet financial goals, and share WI’s stories.
- Responsible for achieving financial goals through marketing and outreach efforts, including raising more than $2 million through trip sales and earned revenues.
- Develops, implements and measures the success of:
- a comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations program that will enhance WI’s image and position within the adventure trip marketplace and the general public, generate trip sales, and facilitate internal and external communications.
- all marketing, communications and public relations activities and materials including publications, digital media, media relations, trip sales and more.
- Achieves marketing/communications/public relations mission and ensures that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and reports progress to the COO and Executive Team.
- Manages, writes and updates the Wilderness Inquiry website and Mailchimp templates; manages blog content.
- Directs social media efforts including Facebook and Twitter postings.
- Recommends short- and long-term organization goals and objectives to the Executive Team.
- Supervises internal personnel and external consultants to achieve goals related to marketing, communications, and public relations.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications and public relations activities.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and personal sales skills.
- Experience developing and managing budgets, and hiring, training, developing, supervising and appraising personnel.
- Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, making presentations and negotiating with media.
- Experience designing, producing and sending print and digital materials and publications.
- Computer literacy in word processing, database management and page layout. Knowledge of Macintosh OS and FileMaker Pro a plus.
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time and demonstrated success as a matrix manager.
- Minimum of 7 years experience in marketing, communications or public relations with demonstrated success, preferably in the not-for-profit or travel sector.
- Bachelors degree in marketing, public relations or journalism preferred. Graduate degree in a related field is desirable.
- Willingness to keep consistent on-site office hours and do whatever it takes to meet organizational goals in a small non-profit environment.
Wilderness Inquiry is an equal opportunity employer.Apply Now
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the salary range for the Marketing Director position?
The salary is commensurate with experience. Wilderness Inquiry also offers highly competitive benefits.
Where is this position based?
The Marketing Director position is based in Minneapolis.