SUMMARY: Seasonal, site-based managerial level position responsible for the implementation of Wilderness Inquiry’s Apostle Islands sea kayaking program and general operations at our Little Sand Bay Base Camp (LSB). Candidate must provide dynamic leadership by setting goals, organizing and directing staff, and evaluating program activities. This position requires a combination of proficiency in the field as well as excellent management and supervisory skills.
TIME/WAGE: Seasonal summer position. Approximately May through early October. Flexible schedule required. Salary range $3,000 – $5,000 per month, commensurate with experience. Summer yurt living provided. Potential for full-time growth.
SUPERVISOR: Operations Director
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Must be willing to live 3-5 months on-site at Wilderness Inquiry’s Little Sand Bay base camp near Bayfield, WI. Bachelor’s degree and ACA Kayak certification preferred; proven kayak and management experience required. Additional requirements include demonstrated success working as part of a team, strong project management skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, proficient computer and database skills. Must be willing to work evenings and weekends as needed.
• Provide training, leadership, and supervision for sea kayak program and staff.
• Supervise all sea kayak related trips and events including safety and risk management plans.
• Responsible for upkeep and maintenance of buildings, campsites, and grounds at LSB.
• Serve as a Trip Director for Apostle Island trips.
• Ensure cleanliness and maintenance of all program equipment including kayaks.
• Assist with marketing and outreach for LSB.
• Ensure the safety, quality, and cost-effectiveness of all programs.
These and other duties may vary at the discretion of the supervisor.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Some travel required. A current driver’s license and a safe driving record. Must be able to sea kayak, lift 45 lbs. and drive a van and trailer.
Wilderness Inquiry is an equal opportunity employer.Apply Now