OVERVIEW: The Sea Kayak Program Manager is a seasonal, site-based managerial level position located on the Bayfield Peninsula near Little Sand Bay, WI. This position is responsible for the execution of Wilderness Inquiry’s Apostle Islands sea kayaking programing and all operations at our 40-acre kayak base camp. Candidate will have a proven track record of providing dynamic leadership. This position requires a combination of proficiency in the field, as well as excellent management and supervisory skills. A successful candidate will be able to manage the base camp workload efficiently through delegation, organization, and by providing direction to staff.
TIME/WAGE: Seasonal summer position. Approximately May through early October. Flexible schedule required as programming dictates. Salary range $800 – $1,100 per week, commensurate with experience. Summer yurt living provided.
SUPERVISOR: Operations Manager
- Must be willing to live 4-5 months on-site at Wilderness Inquiry’s Little Sand Bay (LSB) Base Camp near Bayfield, WI.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Current Certified ACA level 4: Open Water Coastal Kayaking Instructor, ACA Level 3: Costal Kayaking Instructor Trainer, or equivalent and Wilderness First Responder certification required (or willing to obtain).
- Past managerial experience is required.
- Additional requirements include demonstrated success working as part of a team, strong project management skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, proficient computer and database skills.
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Provide training, leadership, and supervision for sea kayak program and staff.
- Supervise all sea kayak related trips and events including safety and risk management plans.
- Responsible for upkeep and maintenance of buildings, campsites, and grounds at LSB.
- Serve as a Trip Director for Apostle Island trips.
- Ensure cleanliness and maintenance of all program equipment including kayaks.
- Assist with marketing and outreach for LSB.
- Ensure the safety, quality, and cost-effectiveness of all programs.
These and other duties may vary at the discretion of the supervisor.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Some travel required. A current driver’s license and a safe driving record. Must be able to sea kayak, lift 50 lbs. and drive a van and trailer.
Wilderness Inquiry is an equal opportunity employer.Apply Now