8th Annual Great River Race Overview
Saturday, September 15, 2018
8:30am – 1:00pm
Hidden Falls Regional Park, Saint Paul, MN
Great River Race (Race to Close the Gap) Itinerary & Route
8:30 a.m. Teams arrive at Hidden Falls (North Gate) for registration
9:00 a.m. Opening ceremony, race & paddle instruction
10:00 a.m. Race begins at Hidden Falls Regional Park
11:45 a.m. Race concludes at Hidden Falls Regional Park
12:00 p.m. Awards ceremony and picnic lunch
1:00 p.m. Event concludes
Launch at Hidden Falls Regional Park. Paddle a beautiful stretch of the Mississippi and Minnesota Rivers, past the Minneapolis dog park, Crosby Farm, and around Pike Island. Enjoy the breathtaking views of Historic Fort Snelling. You will see bald eagles, great blue heron, hawks, falcons, muskrat, fox, and other wildlife.
Team Captain and Racer Information
Download information below to recruit your paddling team, encourage friends and families to support the race, and prepare for race day.
- Personal Packing List
- Racing Tips
- Great River Race Roster
- Race Day Information Sheet
- Send this recruitment email to encourage colleagues, friends, and family to paddle in your sponsored boat
- Send this email to encourage your network to support the race financially
BIG BOATS • BIG EVENT • BIG CAUSE
The Great River Race is a Race for our Future:
- Raise funds! Our goal is to raise $100,000
- Raise awareness of education programs that engage students outdoors
- Fund student achievement
- Support a productive future workforce
The Great River Race is a Race for You:
- Experience the Mighty Mississippi
- Paddle together for a meaningful purpose
- Great team-building opportunity for employees and friends
- Have fun outdoors
Wilderness Inquiry Provides:
- Voyageur canoes (24-foot hand-crafted cedar), paddles and life-vests
- Wilderness Inquiry certified boat captain
- All pre-race communications for your team
EVERYONE IS A WINNER!
Celebration & Ceremony following the race:
- Fabulous lunch buffet!
The Great River Race Experience
As a member of your Great River Race team, you will:
- Paddle with friends and colleagues in a 24-foot Voyageur canoe, sterned by an expert Wilderness Inquiry Trail Guide. Paddles and life jackets will be provided. You can bring your own life jacket, but you must use a Wilderness Inquiry paddle during the race itself.
- Paddle a beautiful stretch of the Mississippi and Minnesota Rivers, past the Minneapolis dog park, Crosby Farm, and around Pike Island. Enjoy the breathtaking views of Historic Fort Snelling. You will see bald eagles, great blue heron, hawks, falcons, muskrat, fox, and other wildlife.
- Experience a fun and expertly-produced canoe race, led by Wilderness Inquiry guides. Some teams take winning the race very seriously; others prefer a more leisurely paddle to enjoy the view. Either way, you’re a winner for what you are doing to help our students!
For more information contact Julie Storck at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-676-9424.